If you have not heard of TED then well, now you have. They are the closest to a good cause to ‘changing the world’ that anybody will ever get. First you need to know more about them if you don’t already.
TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is a global set of conferences run by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, under the slogan “Ideas Worth Spreading”. TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event; the annual conference series began in 1990. TED’s early emphasis was technology and design, consistent with its Silicon Valley origins, but it has since broadened its focus to include talks on many scientific, cultural and academic topics.
TEDx are independent TED-like events, which can be organized by anyone who obtains a free license from TED, agreeing to follow certain principles. TEDx events are non-profit, but may use an admission fee or commercial sponsorship to cover costs. Similarly, speakers are not paid. They must also relinquish the copyrights to their materials, which TED may edit and distribute under a Creative Commons license.
WHY ARE TED TALKS A BIG DEAL?
- TED is the most popular online lecture series with over 1 billion views as compared to KHAN ACADEMY online school racking about 180 million views and MIT Open Courseware, 40 million views.
- TED has more likes than most educational programs on Facebook and even more likes than the most popular British TV show Downtown Abbey, with a whopping 7.2 million likes to 2.2 million.
- The idea behind TED according to its creator Richard Saul Wurman was “to throw the world’s best dinner party” and to invite the world’s best and brightest “to give the greatest talk of their lives”.
- Salman Khan — founder of Khan Academy, whose goal is to bring free, world-class online education to everyone in the world — according to an article in TIMES MAGAZINE, said that before his TED speech, his site had drawn only 6.9 million students. After TED, interest and demand in the courses grew like wildfire: Today, more than 140 million students take these courses online, and the site is growing by 10 million new students each month.
- All lecture series are posted online and free to access. This draws attention to the speakers and institution involved in the organisation of the event thus creating exposure.
Whether you’re convinced or not about what they do, i’m pretty sure you are impressed. The catch to attending a Global TED Conference is that you need to be registered first at a very pricey rate way over $5000. But those who have attended thee conference before have all reported not being disappointed and mostly return yearly if the registration slot is opened, since it doesn’t stay opened for long. TEDx however, because of their smaller nature( smaller meaning a subset, not numbers) are very less pricey since TED doesn’t allow a fee of over $100 for them.
My point is TED and TEDx is a new trend to watch and participate in if you can. If there isn’t a TEDx event in your area, which i doubt there wouldn’t be, you can check out their YouTube channels TED – http://youtube.com/ted , TEDx – http://youtube.com/tedx
And check out
TOP 20 MOST POLULAR TALKS OF ALL TIME
More info @:
Photo credit: TED.com, tedxaccra.com, tedxgcuc.tk